Sunday, February 7, 2010

Savusavu – boat rides and broken houses (PART II)

Now that I’ve had a chance to talk about my boat ride over here to the beautiful bay of Savusavu, let me try and describe the scenery. Oh and don’t forget, this is part II of my update.

When we got here, it was a little after 5am and there was nothing to see. We got to our house (oooohhh, just you wait till I tell you about it) and as the sun rose, ohmigosh the view from our terrace is spectacular. Looking out into the bay, with the little island across from us. We had the Hot Springs Hotel as our neighbour and the hot springs the hotel was named after at the foot of our drive way. Nice don’t you think?

WELL THINK AGAIN!

Our house was an absolute dump! I thought to myself that my mother’s day could not get any worse. The furniture was ruined beyond all recognition, the house was dingy, and the toilets… oh don’t let me get started on the toilets!

Bloody hell, it was disgusting. I couldn’t go to the bathroom for 2 whole days. My body was in such shock over the state of the toilet, it couldn’t function as it should (meaning – I was so shocked I couldn’t shit). Kaila!

The bathroom was damp and mum used a whole bottle of bleach to try and clean the shower area. It was terrible.

The kitchen had very little in stock. By that I meant that we had one fork, one teaspoon, two table spoons and one teeny tiny cutting knife that disappeared the following day after a church lunch. There were no pots and pans to cook with and the water was not safe for us to drink at all! Mum and I resorted to boiling huge pots of drau-ni-moli (lemon leaves) tea and keeping it aside in the fridge as drinking water. It was refreshing!

The upside to our living here is the price of food at the fresh produce market. We bought rourou, tubua, passionfruit, bananas and two huge paw paws for cheap! My passionfruits were $1 for 7 (so I bought $2 worth). We went to the fish market after and bought some fish for dinner that night along with some coconuts.

Our first night here was nothing eventful; it was the living arrangements that made us wary of everything.

Savusavu is a beautiful place. I just can’t wait to see its beauty in the comfort of our new house and away from the horror that is our interim place.

So there you have it… part II of my first two days in Savusavu plus the prelude (the boat ride).

No comments: