Friday, February 5, 2010

Still Breathing

I wrote this poem on the boat as we were leaving Suva...

Waves bobbing
To and fro
The horn sounds
The engines roar
Slowly the coastline fades from view
Slowly the distance grows between me and you
My heart grows pensive at the thought

How does one go on breathing –
When the heart is lost?
How does one keep moving forward –
When your legs are cut from underneath you?

It’s hard to imagine that the moon I see
In the night sky
Is the same moon that caresses your face
With its gentle light
The light over me seems lost; alone.
Just like me
The stars twinkling over you
Are to me cold and distant

But the thought
That we’ll meet again
Makes this seeming exile easier to bear
Keeps me hopeful for that day
Causing my heart to return
Bringing all into focus
Reminding me that I’m still breathing
And each breathe
Brings me closer to you

No comments: