Friday, March 19, 2010

Hurricane Watch

So there’s a hurricane in development as I’m typing this post. Probably by the time it’s posted, the whole natural disaster would have passed us over and the relief work would have begun. I’m also hoping that when this post is uploaded, I’ll expect to be in Suva for the Together We Can project training. However it’s dependant on whether the branch can handle the relief work without the peer educators who will be in Suva.

Right now, I’m on standby and awaiting the call from our branch president or from the Labasa Branch for the disaster response team to go out and assess the damage as well as begin the logistical preparations for relief and assistance. This is my first disaster where I will be a part of the disaster response team on the ground. I’ve signed up for administration and logistical support during disasters so that’s where I’ll hope to be of most use since I’m not physically able to help at disaster sites.

Right now, the weather is slowly changing and the wind is picking up speed. What we’re hearing on the radio is that there are two different tropical cyclones headed for Vanua Levu; one from the North East and another from the North West. The danger here is that they could combine into one freak hurricane. Already it’s being predicted that this hurricane would be worser than Hurricane Bebe that hit Fiji in the 1970’s. That hurricane was the worst to hit us so far and this new one could top Bebe in every way.

We’re just waiting and watching. I’m lucky right now that the electricity is still on and that I can spend time typing out posts when I’m bored and in need of stress relief. A bonus for me is that I managed to pen two new poems, one is entitled: Questions… about life… about death; and the other is The Day will return. They are both good poems and I’m seeing a change and development in my writing style. You can be the judge of that when I’ve uploaded them onto this blog. This is it for now in Hurricane Watch; see you on the other side of the storm.

No comments: