Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Living in Transition

It’s been a while since I’ve had the chance to upload something on to this blog. Too long I say. So much has happened in the past month that I’ll try and sum it all up.

Since I’ve come back from the Disaster Assessment Tour of Cakaudrove following from Cyclone Tomas, and immediately began preparations for a trip to Suva.

This trip to Suva was for the “Together We Can” Project training. This project is Red Cross’s Peer Education component for their HIV/AIDS prevention and education. Frances, Ateca and I represented Savusavu and we met volunteers from every branch in Fiji e.g. Levuka, Taveuni, Sigatoka, Rakiraki, etc... It was absolutely fun and a pure teambuilding week for us volunteers. We all became so close that when it came for us to depart, everybody was in tears. Yes, that was a definite highlight for me.

Coming back to Savusavu, myself and the two girls busied ourselves with preparing for the work we needed to do and at the same time spent every passing day either in Naverea or Vuniyasawa. Yes, there was grog involved in copious amounts. What bliss!

I must note that ever since we’ve come back from Suva, our mobiles have become a sort of hotline for all Red Cross Peer Educators. Day and night!

Oh I forgot an important piece of news, the week I was preparing to leave for Suva; Mum had been to Suva and came back with Jessica.

The week after I came back, we went to Labasa for a Northern Division meet and I had fun there; got to meet up with Mei Mili and visited the Labasa Branch office.

Came back and began preparing to fly over to Suva for a MEN Fiji consultation meeting. That was a good weekend for me.

While I was in Suva for the consultation meet, a combined Band of Suva Central and Lomaivuna Brass came to Savusavu for a camp and tour. This was a great week for all. They led music workshops and we had a mini concert on their last night. I’ve been tasked with putting together a report for the War Cry which I’ve done, I’m just waiting for the photos to be emailed to me from Nancy and Leibling.

Besides all that excitement, we’ve exchanged Jessica for William to stay with us (he came with Pingy along with Hannah)…

It’s been good these past few weeks and I’m looking forward to better days ahead.

No comments: